Built with donation collected from the Orthodox Faithful in the late 1930s, St Nicholas Church of Ghulja, Xinjiang-Uighur, was known for its large miracle-working Tabynsk Icon of the Theotokos kept at the left kliros of the temple. The priest-in-charge from 1946-1952 was Fr Dmitry A. Mlodzyanovsky. During his tenure, the church and parish house underwent major repairs and reconstruction. Also a belfry was built.
The church was destroyed during the 1960s at the time of Chinese Cultural Revolution and the Tabynsk Icon lost. In 2000, the local government rebuilt it at another location in (formerly Ghulja).