Memorial Church of
The western facade
The Chapel in the city of Dalian was until 1902 at the Russian cemetery, which existed in the newly built city as the public cemetery.
During the Russo-Japanese War, when they began to bury the dead soldiers, the chapel has acquired the status of Memorial Church.
Panorama of the
Two staircases were leading to the chapel: one from the church estates - a steep one, from the cemetery - flat and broad.
The Russian style chapel was expressed not only in the characteristic for ancient temples traditional composition, but also in the details of symmetrical facades.
In 1912, under the state program of the Committee for the perpetuation of memory of perished Russian soldiers in the Russo-Japanese War, at the same time the chapel was reconstructed together with the cemetery.
In 1935 — it was expanded and transformed into a church, consecrated in the name of Saint Michael the Archangel.
Attached parts of the refectory and the chapel were designed in the original stylistic vein and the church after the expansion was seen as a stylistic whole.
View from the church-monument
of St Michael the Archangel
In the memoirs of Russian inhabitants of Dalian the church architecture appears very expressive and intimate.
Information on the history of its construction is not available; the name of the author of the project has not been established.
During the Chinese "Cultural Revolution" the temple was destroyed, but the cemetery partially survived.
Today, there remain some memorable plates, gravestones crosses.
Location of the lost church-monument is unknown.
photo taken c.1913
from "Vintage Postcards"
1930s postcard from Japan
1935 or later photo from Levoshko S. S.
1935 or later postcard from rusharbin.com
The bones of the officers in the church
of Dalian, where they were transported
from Port Arthur for church burial service
and then returned back to
Port Arthur for their burial.
«Iskry» Sept 1, 1913