中文 | Русский

Tianjin Church of our Saviour

The Church of our Saviour was built on the east bank of the Baihe (Pei-ho) River in 1907 in memory of the 108 Russian soldiers who perished in the Yihetuan uprising. Their remains were buried under the altar. The church was made of marble with a capacity of 20 people. Most worshippers were White Russians, as it was situated in the Russian Concession at an inconvenient distance from the Chinese Faithful.

On Thursday of the 4th week after Pascha, April 23/May 6, 1909, with the highest permission, in the presence of Ambassador Extraordinary General Palitsyna, the unveiling of a monument in Tianjin, built on the grave of soldiers who died in 1900, took place. The monument is an elegant chapel, standing on a high base. In this chapel, at the opening, a memorial service was served by a member of the Spiritual Mission, Archimandrite Simon. [Chronicle // Chinese Evangelist, No. 7-8. 1909]

From 1922-1925, the church was expanded and rebuilt as the Church of the Holy Protection.

In June 1970, at the original site of the church (today's Haihe River South Station zone in Hedong district), was unearthed a foundational stone with Russian engraved on it. This is the only primary physical evidence of the existence of this Church building that has been discovered to this day.

Photos
 

Oct 16, 1913 postcard from USA

postcard from
memoryofchina.org

1906 postcard from
Hong Kong

1906 postcard from Belgium

Apr 7, 1908 postcard from Germany

c.1908 postcard from UK

Oct 21, 1908 postcard from Brussels

Photo from "Niva" magazine,
Vol. XL, № 10,
March 7, 1909, p. 197

Aug 18, 1909 half fen
postcard from Germany

1910 postcard from Japan

Oct 18, 1910
postcard from Belgium

1911-12 photo from
Warren Swire collection,
HPCBristol.net

1912 postcard from France

Nov 17, 1913 postcard from Hungary

postcard from mtrank

postcard from mtrank

postcard from UK

postcard from UK

postcard from IL, USA

1920s postcard from New York

courtesy of the Museum of
Russian Culture
, San Francisco

Jan 28, 1927 postcard from Italy

Russian Cemetery, from the Collection of
Peter Haven, Member 15th Infantry, 1936-1938.