Located at 55,Road, District (formerly Route Paul Henry, French Concession).
The idea of building the present cathedral began as early as 1929. Near the end of 1934 upon the arrival from Serbia of the newly consecrated Bishop John (Maximovitch) of Shanghai, he supervised the completion of building the cathedral, and was dedicated to our Lady of the "Surety of Sinners" icon. The name of this icon is from the Russian "Sporuchnitsa" which is untranslatable but can also be rendered as "Intercessions of Sinners".
The Cathedral was closed during the Cultural Revolution and used as a warehouse. In July 1988, the Committee of Cultural Heritage began repairing the building. On March 18, 1994 the building was recognized as a a city-level cultural relic preservation unit. Until recently it has been used by "The Dome" bar restaurant. It was verified in October 2005 to be empty.
In 2007, the Municipal Housing Bureau mandated the restoration of the Cathedral to prepare it as a historical museum. Participating in the early stages of the restoration work, Architect Cai in Shanghai detected paintings beneath the plaster in the dome area. It was later confirmed when some beautifully preserved frescoes were uncovered beneath several decades of plaster at the former Cathedral. Abp. HILARION of Sydney says the Cathedral was frescoed by one of the Zadorozhny iconographer-brothers, the one who was Deacon and later lived in California.
In June 19, 2009, the Russian Oil Painting Art Exhibitition opened at the renovated former Cathedral.
On May 15, 2013, the Divine Liturgy was celebrated for the first time in over 50 years by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill.