Русский | | June 24, 2010
English translation by Nina Tkachuk Dimas

A festal service in Beijing's Orthodox temple on the day commemorating the Chinese martyrs

A Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos on June 24, 2010, the day of the memorial of the Chinese martyrs.

The previous evening, at the memorial cross on the site of the All Saints Church, Fr. Sergey Voronin, the priest-in-charge, served a litiya for the dead, followed by an All-Night Vigil, in the crypt holding the relics of the Chinese martyrs.

On June 11, 1900 the Boxer rebels tortured to death in Beijing 222 Chinese Orthodox, who became the first Chinese holy martyrs. Among them was the priest Mitrophan Ji Chong, the first Chinese priest, who had been ordained in Japan by the Equal to the Apostles, St Nicholas of Japan. The celebration of the Chinese martyrs was established by decree of the Holy Synod in 1902. Their relics were buried in the crypt of All Saints Temple on the territory of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in China. Many of the relics were incorrupt.

Services commemorating the martyred priest Mitrophan and those who suffered with him in the Boxer [Yihetuan] uprising were also held in Hong Kong and Shanghai.