中文 | Русский | English Translation by Nina Dimas

Military Parish of St. Nicholas, the Wonderworker of Myra in Lycia

House Church on Jessfield Road

1923 photo from
Shanghai Library

nave photo from
Shanghai Library

The history of the founding of St. Nicholas Military parish is connected with the evacuation from Vladivostok to Shanghai of military schools with their house temples and clerics.

First settling on Jessfield Road, the corps also located its temples there.

After the military schools moved to other streets, and then in 1924 to Serbia, Sib kk left behind some church property for the formation of a new temple.

This property was transferred to the Union of Those Who Served in the Russian Army and Fleet, which, in December 1924, opened a military house church on Linda Terrace, #13.

House Church at 876, Avenue Joffre

Sanctuary photo
from Shanghai Library

Nave photo from Shanghai Library

Thereafter, on January 1, 1927, the church, together with the Union's office, moved to a house, a private residence at the corner of Avenue Joffre and Route Doumer, 876.

The entire ground floor was allocated for the church.

House Church at 929, Avenue Joffre

929, Avenue Joffre
outside photo from Shanghai Library

Later, when the house was torn down, the church in 1931 moved to Avenue Joffre, house 929, near Route Gustare de Boissenzon.

Because of disagreements about where in the building to locate the military and Cossack organizations, the church began to be considered a Representation of Harbin, and in 1932 there was a petition to the Metropolitan Evlogy of the Western European Russian Orthodox Churches, Exarch of the Ecumenical Patriarch, with whose blessing the church now existed.

929, Avenue Joffre
Nave photo from Shanghai Library

Archpriest Alexander Pinyaev was priest-in-charge and spiritual leader of church. Lieutenant General Glebov was the church-warden.