中文 | Русский

Holy Protection Convent in Beiguan

This Orthodox female monastery dedicated to the Protecting Veil of the Most Holy Theotokos was rebuilt after the Boxer Rebellion of June 1900 destroyed the original convent. Located southeast of the Church of All Holy Martyrs in Beiguan, Beijing, the rebuilt convent was later destroyed when Beiguan was handed over in 1956 and converted into the Soviet Embassy.

Photos
 

1898 wood engraved print from WI USA

from pg 61 of "Travels in Tartary,
Thibet and China during
the years 1844-5-6,"
tr. by W. Hazlitt.

from Boris Alexandrov's book "Beiguan"

Hieromonk Nicodemus and
Nuns of Pokrov Convent
"Beiguan" (Tianjin, 1939) pp. 124-125

Nuns of the Holy Pokrov Convent
in the Church of the Martyrs (?).
1948 Photo from Museum of
Church Archaeology
, MDPA

Nuns of the Holy Pokrov Convent near the Church of the Martyrs.
1948 Photo from Museum of Church Archaeology, MDPA

The nuns of the Holy Protection Convent at work.
1948 Photo from Museum of Church Archaeology, MDPA